Purpose: In lieu of a fina paper you will design and create a 4-6 page proposal to demonstrate your understanding of children’s cognitive development. For this final project, you will design a new, unique toy, for children based on your research in the field of cognitive development. You will design this artifact around a specific topic which may include ANY THREE OF THESE; memory, language, perceptual development, social cognition, conservation, problem solving strategies or skills, mathematical, or scientific reasoning, and it can be for any age.
Introduction – You will begin with a brief review of the literature (Approximately 2-3 college length paragraphs). For this section I would like for you to cite 3-5 academic sources. These sources may include your textbook Children’s Thinking by David Bjorklund and/or articles/resources that you have found. Your thesis statement should be an explicit statement about the purpose or goal of your activity.
1. Subjects – this section should begin with the age group whom your artifact or program is designed for, and a short summary of where they are cognitively.
2. Materials and Design – (you may wish to included a photo, graphic, or diagram here.)
3. A description of how the activity or artifact works. How is it used? What does it do?
Expected Benefits of Your Program or Artifact
1. How does this toy/activity help foster cognitive development?
2. What makes it research-based?
Briefly summarize your proposal. Conclude with a final statement about why parents/educators should utilize this activity or object.
*Please use APA format. This means you should include a title page, the body of your paper, and a reference page. Instead of using the traditional sections for APA, you can use some rendition of “Introduction”, “Design”, “Expected Benefits”, and “Conclusion”.
***Make sure to label your sections.
***Attached is a template to follow and an example of the introduction section