Assignment 1: Journal and Newspaper Article Assignment (100 points)
Competency 5 & Competency 4
Select and critique two articles from one of the professional social work journals (for example, Social Work, Families in Society, Health and Social Work, Social Service Review) and one article from the newspaper. Students will identify a social policy at the local, state, or federal level that impacts well-being, service delivery, and access to social service in both articles as it relates to oppressed and disadvantaged populations. The articles should relate to a specific social welfare law, policy, program and/or service and to a population group at risk for discrimination, oppression, economic deprivation, racism,environmental injustice, physical disability, etc.Students are expected to utilize critical thinking to understand how social welfare and economic policies impact the delivery of and access to social services for all people.The articles from the journals should be at least four pages in length. Provide the following information about the journal article and newspaper article that you have selected using the following format.
Using Critical thinking skills, answer the following questions:
1. The main purpose of this article is ____________________________________.
(State as accurately as possible the author’s purpose for writing the article.)
2. The key question that the author is addressing is _________________________.
(Figure out the key question in the mind of the author when she/he
wrote the article.)
3. The most important information in this article is _________________________.
(Figure out the facts, experiences, practice-informed practice and research-informed research
data the author is using to support her/his conclusions.)
4. The main inferences/conclusions in this article are _______________________.
(Identify the key conclusions the author comes to and presents in the article.)
5. The key concept(s) we need to understand in this article is (are)
_____________________. By these concepts the author means
_____________________. (Figure out the most important ideas you would have
to understand in order to understand the author’s line of reasoning.)
6. The main assumption(s) underlying the author’s thinking is (are)
_____________________. (Figure out what the author is taking for granted
[that might be questioned.])
7. a). If we take this line of reasoning seriously, the implications are
_____________________. (What consequences are likely to follow if people
take the author’s line of reasoning seriously?)
b). If we fail to take this line of reasoning seriously, the implications are
_____________________. (What consequences are likely to follow if people ignore the author’s reasoning?)
8. The main point(s) of view presented in this article is (are) ______________________. (What is the author looking at, and how is she/he seeing it?).
9. Save a copy of the article and newspaper and upload with your assignment or if you have difficulty bring a copy of the article by my office.
The paper must be typed, double-spaced, and at least three pages in length. You will not be downgraded for more than three pages. The paper must be written in APA style.