Imagine your school has just enrolled several new children who have been identified with different low incidence disabilities, including traumatic brain injury, orthopedic impairment, other health impairment, and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Teachers in your school are largely unfamiliar with serving children identified with these disabilities.
This week, you will write a memo for the teaching staff in which you explain salient elements associated with low incidence disabilities: Traumatic Brain Injury, Orthopedic Impairment (Physical Disabilities), Other Health Impairment (OHI), and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
First, identify any school level of your choosing (e.g., elementary, middle, high). Then, for each of the four low incidence disabilities, provide the following information with corresponding citations to support your points:
- The basic definition. You will find there are many definitions in practice such as legal definitions, medical definitions, or educational definitions. Whichever definition you choose, describe the definition in your own terms.
- The prevalence rate in schools. Because you are exploring low incidence disabilities, you may find prevalence rates lower than you might expect. Prevalence rates might be expressed in numbers or percentages.
- A brief description of the IDEA eligibility criteria.
- Two to three characteristics commonly seen in children diagnosed with the disability.
- Three or four research-based or evidence-based instructional strategies for use with children diagnosed with the disability. At least one strategy should demonstrate collaboration between special education and general education staff.
Length: 4-6 pages, excluding title and reference pages
References: Include a minimum of three scholarly or credible resources.
The completed assignment should address all of the assignment requirements, exhibit evidence of concept knowledge, and demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the content presented in the course. The writing should integrate scholarly resources, reflect academic expectations and current APA standards, and adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy.