Compare and contrast Hagia Sophia and Constantinople
All of the grand churches in this chapter were built under the patronage of powerful rulers and were meant to glorify them as well as serve Christian communities. Choose two churches to compare and contrast for this essay. What design features do they share? In what ways are they fundamentally different? What functions did they serve in both church and state?
Review: “Imperial Christian Architecture and Art” (Ch. 7) and “Early Byzantine Art” (Ch. 8).
- Length must meet at minimum three (3) pages.
o Please note: The full length of written content MUST be three pages long, not including any author information (such as written in the upper right by MLA style)
- Provide three (3) sources for your entry minimum.
o Wikipedia and other non-academic websites will not be accepted for this criteria.
o Acceptable sources may be located from the following:
- their textbook
- Academic and scholarly journals
- Museum websites – such as those linked on this page: http://www.artcyclopedia.com/museums-us.html
o The sources above are merely suggestions of where credible sources could be found, and should not be mistaken as always acceptable. Please use proper academic discretion to determine if your source is appropriate. If you have any questions regarding this, please review this website: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/553/01/ (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.) or speak with your local librarian.
- Cite academic articles, books, or other research at sources of your conclusions.
o Citations may be written in APA or MLA style. Refer to the Ivy Tech Writing Guide for examples of citations commonly used.
o In-text citations and a full resource(s) citation must be included.
o See the citation resources in “Resources” area for information specific to art citations.
- Thoroughly address all aspects of the prompt.
- Use proper terminology as presented in the textbook.