Assignment 3 – Legal Liability and the Gig Economy
Uber is largely hailed as the advent of the gig economy, which is the idea that people do not work as permanent employees for one employer but instead work in a labor market characterized by short-term contracts or freelance work. While creating a new type of entrepreneurship for individuals, a gig economy raises a host of new legal questions about the law of agency for companies utilizing gig workers.
Your boss has asked you to evaluate Uber’s legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers, given the information below and identify and explain the law and legal liability in this vast new gig economy world.
Write a 3 to 4-page Interoffice Memo in which you do the following:
- Summarize the main principles of agency law as they relate to Uber’s relationship with its drivers.
- Analyze the circumstances under which Uber might be liable for the conduct of a driver who, while intoxicated, caused an accident involving personal property damage and bodily injury.
- Identify the steps Uber can take, if any, to limit its legal exposure due to the conduct of its drivers.
- Use at least three quality and credible sources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Follow an Interoffice Memo format for the first page (no cover page is required) see below:
TO: Professor Lori Baggot
FROM: Your Name Here
DATE: The date here
- Typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with 1-inch margins on all sides.
- Use the Strayer Library to conduct research and include at least three quality and credible sources. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not count as quality references.
- Cite your references following Strayer Writing Standards on a Source page and this is not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is as follows:
- Establish what liability concerns exist for a specific business based on agency law.