Parasympathetic and sympathetic activation are two competing effectors of the autonomic nervous system. Many organs have dual innervation, allowing changes in a split second through chemical messengers. Your task is to discuss how the autonomic nervous system responds to changes in homeostasis and provide a comparison between autonomic and somatic nerves.
You should spend approximately 4 hours on this assignment.
- You are making your way to your car when suddenly your overly friendly neighbor pops out from behind a bush and yells “Surprise!” Focusing on one organ with dual innervation, prepare a written post with at least 300 words answering the following bullet points:
- What physiological events are happening in your chosen organ as you are going about your normal morning routine?
- How does being frightened by your neighbor alter the biological processes in your chosen organ? Be sure to include chemical messengers involved in inducing this change in physiological state.
- How do the two branches of the autonomic nervous system maintain homeostasis in your chosen organ?
- Provide a brief comparison between autonomic and somatic peripheral nerve action.
- All references must be cited using APA Style format. Please refer to the CCCOnline APA Citation Toolkit.
All sources must be credible websites