The exam consists of five (5) long essay questions. Make sure you address each point in each question and provide complete answers.
• Refer to the Unit Readings, specifically the Textbook Chapters, Unit Lectures, readings & resources and credible sources from the Library or internet to support your responses• Research the information and paraphrase your response to the question with cited academic data. The APA process is required. Students are required to identify academic sources correctly. • Do not cut and paste from academic sources – Safe Assign is used to prevent plagiarism.• It is highly advisable first to answer the questions on the attached Word document and then copy and paste into the exam.
1. The Family Medical and Leave Act of 1993. o Why is the Act so important to American employees and their families?o What are the major components (paraphrased in your words)?o What are your observations on the Act?▪ What is working well with the Act▪ What difficulties are there with the Act?
2. Explain the following Labor Laws with sufficient academic data and include why the law was needed, and what changes the laws made to the workplace. Include whether the law benefits the unions, management or both and why.
An understanding of each law is necessary.
Norris-LaGuardia Act of 1932
National Labor Relations Act of 1935
Taft-Hartley Act of 1947
Landrum-Griffith Act of 1959
3. Using academic research explain four (4) of the challenges that face Human Resource Management (and companies) in the first half of the 21st century. Be specific and list each challenge separately explaining what it is, why it is concerning and what is being done to resolve it?
4. Research EMPLOYEE RIGHTS and EMPLOYEE PRIVILEGES. • Employee Rights – provide a summary of what Employee Rights are and list five of the RIGHTSguaranteed in the workplace and what law determined that right?• Employee Privileges – explain what EMPLOYEEPRIVILEGES (sometimes known as fringe benefits)in the workplace are along with a list of five or more optional types of privileges/benefits given by companies – research required.
5. What are Performance Appraisals?• What are the three main reasons for conducting performance appraisals and why is it such an important tool for employers and employees?• Select three (3) of the common Performance Appraisal methods and describe their principal components.• Which one of the three (3) do you feel is the best tool for informing employees of their work progress and why?